Introduction

Ab'jarin Introduction

Ab'jarin is a constructed language (known as a conlang) that I have been working on since late May. I initially started working on thi...

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Ab'jarin Introduction

Ab'jarin is a constructed language (known as a conlang) that I have been working on since late May.

I initially started working on this language as a side project while I was studying political philosophy at Keble College in Oxford. This is the second conlang that I have created--the other being Oushahriva (an agglutinating language). I started working on Ab'jarin when Oushahriva became too unruly, due to poor root word generation. Wanting something simpler, Ab'jarin was born.

My design philosophy for Ab'jarin is simple. First, the language is highly analytical. Second, the language consists of many small words--one or two syllable ideally--as opposed to long words. Larger concepts will be represented by combining multiple words (either in the form of compound words, or phrases). For example, "Spring" translates literally as "flower time."

The language also defaults as gender neutral in its third-person pronouns, and generally attempts to be gender neutral.

Additionally, I try to avoid cognates as much as possible. However, when present, they are false cognates--meaning, that while /el/ exists in my language, it is a verb, meaning "to move," and not a drink.

And that, ladies (/uʃon/), gentlemen (/uʃom/), and people of all genders (/uʃo/), is the basic design philosophy of Ab'jarin.

In this blog, I will be posting the progress of my creation of the language.

Important articles to read before diving in to the rest of the blog:

Phonology

Verb Conjugation

Word Modifiers

Sentence and Syllable Structure

Script

/telo jot/!

Jordan

21 August 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment